I hate “fishy” taste with a passion. That being said a good bouillabaisse on a rainy day is a magical thing. When prepared just right there is no “fishy” taste. The kids didn’t even realize they were eating fish. Hubby and I agreed that this soup turned out AMAZING. It is our new family favorite for cold fall days. It will transport you to San Francisco’s Fisherman’s Wharf.
adapted from emeals.com clean eating plan:
- (1 T olive oil)
- (1 clove garlic, peeled and sliced)
- 1/2 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- (Small pinch of saffron)
- Zest of 1/2 orange or 3 drops of essential orange oil (leave out if on elimination diet)
- 1/2 (14.5 oz) can whole tomatoes or 1 large diced tomato
- 3 c chicken broth (Salt to taste)
- 1/2 T Trader Joe’s South African Smoke Seasoning Blend or Creole Seasoning
- 2 (6 oz) tilapia filets
- 1/2 lb shrimp
- The night before take 5 minutes to mix up some Overnight Rustic Bread to use for bread bowls. Start cooking bread as you begin preparing the soup.
- Heat olive oil in skillet. Add garlic, onion and fennel. Cook stirring occasionally, for 5 – 10 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- Add saffron, orange zest, tomatoes, chicken broth and seasoning. Bring to a boil. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Season with salt. Add tilapia and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Add shrimp and cook 3 minutes.
- Serve soup in bread bowls and enjoy!