Attack of the Flu

Part of the reason we stopped the diet a little over a week ago was because I felt like I was coming down with something.  It turns out I was coming down with one of the worst stomach bugs I have had in a while.  I….could….barely….move for 4 days.  The kids were sick for about 20 minutes.  Just long enough to leave multiple vomit stains on the carpet and force me to keep them home from school all week.  Hubby escaped it entirely as he so often does.

I learned a few things this week:

  1. The house was not overrun with mice within hours of me not sweeping the kitchen floor.
  2. It took 2-3 days for us to completely run out of dishes.
  3. The kids managed just fine on their own with some bread, peanut butter and a box of cereal….at least they are still alive.
  4. Somehow when they are well I seem to be constantly sheriffing disagreements between the kids.  Without me they were fine working things out on the own.  Maybe I should be slower to step in?!?
  5. The kids are finally old enough that not EVERY show is “scary”.  They were able to climb in bed, cuddle with me, and watch a few episodes of Parenthood (my latest show addiction) with me.
  6. Given that the kids and house survived, I guess I really could squeeze in some downtime when I need it and I shouldn’t feel bad about it.

Now that things are semi back to normal I actually cooked dinner instead of just handing the kids another box of cereal (leftovers from before the elimination diet we are still trying to finish off.  We gave away the worst offenders in the pantry but there is still plenty left).  Tonight I made Butternut Squash Chicken Risotto.  Am I the ONLY person that didn’t know risotto must be cooked with Arborio rice?  I used basmati and it turned out just fine but Arborio would have been creamier.  As I prepared the butternut squash I let the kids look at it.  They were excited we were eating “pumpkin” for dinner.  Mr Rockstar gobbled up his plate and asked for seconds.  Miss Tomboy ate all hers and loved the chicken.  Miss Princess tried the rice and declared it good.

Roasted Butternut Squash Risotto


Today I just took time to play with Mr Rockstar.  He used to beg me constantly to play with him.  It hit me today that he has stopped asking.  He had given up on me ever making time to play with him.  The realization made me sick to my stomach.  As we were finishing up school we had about 30 minutes before we needed to leave to pick up the twins and I asked him if he wanted me to play with him.  His eyes lit up.  I am so glad I made the time for him.  After a rough couple weeks we needed some positive interactions to help things get better.

Right before I got sick we switched Mr Rockstars medication.  We tapered him off the Tenex and then started him on Ritalin.  We were going to try to make it a couple days/weeks with no medication to get a baseline but I was L O S I N G my mind as we tapered him off the Tenex.  He was so aggressive and hyper it was a huge problem.  On the advice of our behavioral coach I went ahead and started the Ritalin.  This caused Mr Rockstar to stay up until 1AM.  After a few nights, we finally got him sleeping by 10pm pretty regularly but that was only with a ton of melatonin and valerian root extract.  The poor kid was taking 7 pills at dinner and we were dying between his late bedtime and his sisters 6am wakeup.  His psychiatrist had given him a sleep aid so we finally broke down and tried it.  Lately he has been taking half a tablet of the prescription sleep aid plus a little melatonin.  This gets him to sleep by 9pm and he is SLEEPING THREW THE NIGHT!  Can I get a Hallelujah?  Behaviorally things are better than a couple weeks ago but still hard.  Today for example, he was angry about a number of things but he was able to calm himself down instead of spiraling out of control.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *