Sunday night at my mom’s night out one of the mom’s brought an apple galette. I immediately thought this is something I could make on our elimination diet! Pathetic I know. It was super easy and turned out great. Mr Rockstar had 3 pieces. Also I take back all the bad things I said about coconut sugar. The first time I used it was in some mini donuts and I think it was the chickpea flour that made those taste bad. Coconut sugar does have a stronger flavor (similar to molasses) but it works great when you need a solid sugar in a recipe instead of maple syrup or honey.
Adapted from petiteallergytreats.blogspot.com
- 1 1/4 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 4 small pears
- 1/3 cup rice milk
- 4 T palm shortening
- 1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 T coconut sugar
- 2 T coconut sugar or maple syrup
- 2 T palm shortening
- 1T sunflower oil to brush tops
- Preheat oven to 400 F
- Mix dry ingredients together in bowl. Prepare a baking sheet lined with foil and parchment paper. Cut the parchment paper in half and set aside.
- Wash, dry and peel pears. Cut into 1/2 inch slices. Set aside.
- Cut in shortening with fork or pastry cutter. Mixture will not be very crumbly. Try and break up all the shortening
- Add rice milk and mix. Dough will come together quickly. It should be thick and similar to pastry containing gluten.
- Divide the dough in half and cover unused portion in plastic wrap.
- Using one half other parchment paper, place dough and flatten by hand into a circle.
- Continue flattening using a rolling pin. Try and maintain a general circular shape. Roll to slightly less than 1/8 of an inch.
- Move dough and parchment paper to baking sheet now to avoid breaking from the weight of the filling.
- Add 1 T shortening to cover the bottom; break up with fingers and drop in small dots. Leave 1-1/2 inch border to fold the crust up.
- Add pear slices starting from the center. Overlap them slightly since they will shrink once baked. Make only 2 layers of apples.
- Gently lift the border of the dough fold up to form the crust.
- Brush (or spray) entire galette with sunflower oil
- Add 1 T shortening to the top of crust and apples. Break shortening up into small dots and spread evenly.
- Sprinkle crust and pears with sugar.
- Repeat steps with remaining dough.
- Bake for about 15-18 minutes. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
You can use coconut oil instead of palm shortening if you are past stage 1. Apples of any other fruit can be used instead of pears.