In Stage 1 of our Elimination Diet I would make decaf hazelnut maple syrup lattes with rice milk. Surprisingly it was delicious and did pretty good at psychologically fulfilling my coffee habit. I usually like loads of Coffeemate in my coffee so I was surprised how easy the switch was to maple syrup and rice milk….actually I think I like it even better and will continue even after the diet.
Adapted from 100DaysofRealFood.com
- 1 teaspoon 100% pure maple syrup
- 1 shot of espresso (use decaf if caffeine is cut out of diet)
- ¾ cup of milk (choose between rice, coconut, soy, or cow’s milk depending on what stage of the diet you are in)
- Heat ¾ cup milk in a glass measuring cup in the microwave (for about 2 minutes) or by using a milk frother.
- Add maple syrup
- Pour the hot espresso on top of the milk and enjoy your latte!
I have the cheapest Mr Coffee Espresso maker but it does a great job making espresso (at least for my unrefined taste) and frothing my milk. I have tried rice, coconut, soy, lactose free milk, and regular milk. They all froth differently but they do all froth! If you don’t have an espresso machine check out this post by MoneySavingMom.com on how to make a latte without an espresso machine.