I couldn’t believe how good these turned out with no cheese or tomato sauce! These turned out nice enough I would be willing to make them again after the Elimination Diet is over. I would even serve it to guests without apology.
Adapted from GoDairyFree.org
- 3 red bell peppers cut in half and seeded
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 small chili pepper, seeded and finely minced (wear gloves when handling chili peppers)
- 1-1/4 pounds ground beef
- 4 ounces quinoa, well rinsed
- 2-1/4 cups beef or chicken stock (gluten free, yeast free, sugar free)
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 4 bay leaves
- salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Heat oil in a heavy skillet and add the onions and chilis and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the ground beef and break up continuing to cook for another 3 minutes. Drain ground beef and return to skillet. Add quinoa or rice, stock, juice, and bay leaves. Bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cut peppers in half and remove seeds. Divide the beef-quinoa mixture between the peppers stuffing the peppers with the mixture.
Put into an oiled pan. Drizzle with a bit of sunflower oil. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 375F or until the peppers are cooked and filling is hot. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
Put peppers into deep dish pans. Wrap well for freezing, label, and freeze.
To serve: Thaw. Put into an oiled pan. Drizzle with a bit of sunflower oil. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 375F or until the peppers are cooked and filling is hot. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.