Before starting the Elimination Diet I purchased this mini donut pan from Amazon. Alternatively you could make them as mini muffins or large muffins just adjust the baking time accordingly. I spray it with sunflower oil using the Misto Sprayer with sunflower oil in it. These donuts turned out drool-worthy and the batter actually puffed up quite a bit. Even though the batter puffs up it doesn’t really “smooth” out as it rises so if you are haphazard about how you fill the donut pan (like me) then they are pretty textured on top.
Adapted from cleaneatingchelsey.com
- 1-1/2 cups gluten free flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon (Leave out the cinnamon if in stage 1. You can add a pinch of nutmeg instead)
- 1-1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 3/4 can pumpkin (about 10-12 ounces)
- 1/3 cup applesauce (or homemade pear sauce)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tbsp flax mixed with 6 tbsp warm water and left to sit out for 5 minutes)
- Begin by making your flax eggs. Mix two tbsp flax with 6 tbsp warm water in a small bowl. Set aside to be mixed into batter later.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix your dry ingredients into a large bowl — flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Mix your wet ingredients together in another bowl — maple syrup, pumpkin, vanilla, applesauce, and flax eggs.
- Combine the two mixtures and stir until smooth.
- Spray donut pan with sunflower oil. Put about a tablespoon of batter into each muffin cup.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
- Makes 36 mini donuts. You can freeze some to enjoy another day!