Even though some of the spices and tomato juice are higher in salicylates since only a small portion of BBQ sauce will be eaten at one setting I think this recipe is still overall low in salicylate acid. The kids won’t drink BBQ sauce right? This turned out well enough I could make it again after the Elimination Diet is over.
Adapted from FoodNetwork.com
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 (about 2/3 cup) small onion, finely diced
- 26 oz tomato juice
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2/3 cup malt vinegar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a small sauce pot on medium-high heat heat the oil and add the onion. Cook until onion is translucent.
- Add the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and mix together. Add to sauce pan and let simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Let cool. Then process in the blender or food processor until smooth.